Friday 18 September 2015

Avoid scale when on a diet!

Avoid scale when being on a diet! Image by talkingaboutbeauty.com

Since joining the gym, I noticed improvement in my body and I loved it. I felt healthier, happier and full of energy. But after a while my weight started going up and I didn't like it. All my efforts seemed pointless and I felt disheartened... I thought I would be losing weight? It was unfair that the scale showed larger and larger number, while I was working so hard...
Then, after a short research, I realised that the scale is a very moody creature. First of all, it measures your overall weight, including muscles, bones, water and finally fat. Did you know that the human body is made in 60% of water? Yes, 60%! Isn't that shocking? That's why the rapid 'crash' diets make you lose a lot of weight in the first week - it's because you're losing water. But you can equally easy retain water - by eating more carbohydrates or salt. This will also reflect on the scale - it will show you have gained weight, while it's mostly water!

It's very important not to focus on your scale when being on a diet - it's best to avoid it! Measure your achievements some other way. Pay attention to your clothes - do your favourite jeans feel a bit loose? Do you like the way you look in the mirror? That's the best way to tell you're on the right track! And stop weighing yourself everyday, decide to do this only every other week - just to monitor the progress. But don't pay attention to your scale going up or down, it could mean you're gaining muscles, which are heavier then fat, while you are getting slimmer and slimmer!

No comments:

Post a Comment